A major shift in ceiling design has occurred in the field of architecture. So, one of the most usable architectural elements that has grown in popularity nowadays is the spandrel ceiling. Which not only gives interior spaces a special touch but also enhances the durability of the ceiling.
However, it is mostly used in modern building construction to cover the exposed undersurface of any exterior. It is also known as soffit. In this article, we will talk about the installation of a spandrel ceiling, its cost, and benefits.
First of all, understand the spandrel ceiling nature before usage. Also, understand the types and the purpose of using the spandrel ceiling. Let’s understand the spandrel source, its types, and its aspects.
Generally, in the world of architecture, the word spandrel describes the area between two arches or an arch and a rectangular enclosure. The use of spandrels gives the room’s overall design look like the ceiling is plain, ribbed, or ridged. Also, your roof protects from moisture.
The roof eaves look unpleasant in the absence of the spandrels. Because by using it your home will look unfinished and it hides the floor structure. On the other side, the spandrels give the ceiling a smooth touch due to hiding the wiring, ducts, and beams.
There are many types of spandrel that are unique to each other. Moreover, they are available in different design styles, colors, and other features. However, A ceiling system made of steel is the better choice.
- Vinyl Spandrels Ceiling
- Metal Spandrels Ceiling
- Wood Spandrels Ceiling
- Cement Spandrels Ceiling
There are many types of spandrel roofs that are useful according to your needs. Now you will be surprised to know their characteristics.
- Concealment Function: Spandrel ceilings hide the floor structure and structural components including wiring, ducts, and beams that affect the overall visual attractiveness of the ceiling.
- Customization Option: There are a lot of varieties available. So, you can select the material, color, and texture according to your home construction.
- Architectural Versatility: Spandrel ceilings are flexible enough to accommodate a wide range of design needs. Moreover, they are available in a variety of architectural styles like modern, industrial, and contemporary.
- Main factors: Spandrels are fire and water resistance like wood. So, the use of them can decrease the chances of property damage.
- Integration with lighting: Also, lighting effects are available in spandrel ceilings to enhance the creation of specialized design solutions.
Spandrel Ceiling has gained popularity and is mostly used in modern areas.
- Commercial Area: Typically, spandrels are used in restaurants, shops, offices, or other business places. They have decorative as well as practical uses to enhance their interior look.
- Hotel Sector: To create a warm atmosphere and present a pleasant look to their hotels the owners use the spandrel ceiling to attract the attention of the public.
- Residential area: Mostly the public uses them to give a touch of refinement to their properties. So, the homeowners use them to increase their home value.
There are a lot of advantages to using the spandrel ceiling. Let’s discuss their advantages.
- Spandrel ceilings enhance the appearance and increase the value of the property.
- They hide the structural components and offer a greater aesthetic appeal.
- A lot of variety is available for customization options.
- You may create a variety of lighting effects by integrating lighting into spandrel ceilings.
- Spandrel ceilings are widely used in multiple-story buildings.
- Spandrel ceilings are light in weight. So, easy to install.
- Does not deteriorate when exposed to water because it is water resistant.
- In the case of a fire, they are almost fireproof.
- Spandrel ceiling is easy to maintain.
The installation process of the spandrel ceiling is a bit difficult but not at all. So, you can hire a professional to install them properly. Let’s start learning the process of understanding How to install Spandrel Ceiling.
- In the next step examine your roof condition.
- Clean the roof properly and repair the cracks, or damaged areas before installing the spandrel.
- Also, check the leakage issues and fix them in the ceiling.
- Now, double-check to make sure there are no obstructions.
- Before starting the work on the project make proper planning.
- Understand the requirements of your building structure.
- Make a proper planning of installation of the lighting.
- Use high-quality materials. Also, select the ideal style for the spandrel ceiling.
- After deciding on the spandrel, pick the appropriate material for the ceiling spandrel.
- Examine the fire and moisture resistance to ensure safety.
- To support the small spandrel, you need to install the frame.
- The spandrels are available in various lengths due to that used on the eaves and edges of the roof. So, you must install the frame to increase their durability.
- After finishing the framework install the spandrels.
- Insert them one by one carefully without any gaps and cover the area.
- If you do not have the small pieces of the spandrel to cover the very small area you can cut the spandrel into small pieces.
- Make sure that there are no gaps and cracks appear in the spandrel during the installation.
- At last you can apply suitable finishing techniques to enhance their appearance.
- You can install the paintings, any decorative pieces, and other lighting products.
The use of the Spandrel not only enhances the beauty of the property but also the ideal finish on eaves, ceilings, and blinds. Spandrel offers a practical beauty. Moreover, mostly steel material is utilized in spandrels.
Particularly they are easy to install and also conceal the exposed undersides of your roof eaves outside overhanging sections. If you use steel spandrels due to their durability, the use of them can save you money to paint the eaves and edges.
Different companies of roofing material supplies have their own pricing and material specifications. However, the cost of the spandrel depends on its color, size, material, labor cost, design complexity, and other additional features.
Moreover, you can visit the different online stores to know the accurate cost of the spandrel ceiling. Also, visit your local stores because the location also affects the cost of the spandrel and labor cost.
Spandrel roofs have gained popularity all over the world. Because of their maximum aesthetic appeal by combining appearance, durability, and utility. However, there are different types of spandrels, and are popular and usable due to their own characteristics and features.
Additionally, as mentioned above they are advantageous in that they are more versatile, easier to install, and fire and water-resistant. Therefore, their use also increases the security of your property. It may sound expensive but the after results reduce the expensive factor.