If your car has had start-up problems, rattle roughly, engine failure, check engine light, bad gas mileage, and other problems occur. Then, the main problem with your car is that the purge solenoid valve needs to be cleaned. Here the question arises, how to clean purge solenoid valve?
No need to worry, it is easy to clean with just a little effort. The purge solenoid valve is an internal part of the car that is connected to EVAP system’s hoses and tubing. Clean it easily using air pressure and water spray. In this article, we will discuss the entire procedure for cleaning the purge solenoid valve. So, follow these steps one by one.
How to Clean Purge Solenoid Valve?
Ensure proper operation of the car by cleaning the purge solenoid valve, which is an important part of the car’s evaporative emissions control system. Follow these instructions to clean it easily.
Collect the Safety Precautions and Materials:
First, collect the materials and take safety precautions to protect yourself from any damage to save time and complete your cleaning task without any hassle.
- Wrench or pliers
- Clean cloth or paper towels
- Safety glasses
- Safety gloves
- Mass airflow sensor (MAF) cleaner
- Water Spray
- Electrical contact cleaner
- Start working in a well-ventilated location and wear the safety tools.
Prepare the car:
- Before starting the work make sure that the engine is cool.
- Make sure the car is turned off.
- Ensure that the key is taken out of the ignition.
Find the Purge Solenoid Valve:
- The purge solenoid valve is located near the engine under the hood.
- That can also be located near the intake manifold and charcoal canister.
- The typical solenoid valve is tiny, black, and has two vacuum tubes protruding from it.
- So, also take the help of the professionals that offer car repair services to locate the exact location of the purge solenoid valve.
- Also, check the car manual or search your car model by using search engines with purge solenoid valves.
Disconnect the Battery:
- To turn off the solenoid valve’s power.
- To prevent electrical mishaps, unplug the negative battery terminal.
Take out the Purge Solenoid Valve:
- Locate and carefully remove the electrical connectors that hold the valve.
- Any vacuum tubes attached to the valve should be carefully unplugged.
- Make use of the proper tools and remove the valve from its mounting bracket. If the valve is joined with bolts or clamps.
- For re-establishment, take note and remember the valve’s location and orientation.
Examine the Solenoid Valve:
- First of all, after taking out the valve, examine it so that there is no evidence of physical harm, corrosion, or debris that might be the cause of problems.
- Analyze whether the valve needs to be cleaned or replaced with a new one.
- If there are obvious signs of wear or serious damage, then replace the valve.
Cleaning the Solenoid Valve without opening:
- Thoroughly spray a mass airflow sensor (MAF) cleaner or electrical contact cleaner on the solenoid valve.
- Use a clean cloth and towel to remove any dirt, oil, and everything.
- With full attention paid to cleaning the electrical connector pins, the vacuum ports, wires, and the area around the valve.
- Avoid using aggressive chemicals that can harm the valve or its parts.
Need to be Solenoid Valve Open:
- Check the valve that needs a deep cleaning.
- With great care, open the Valve.
- So, use tools like a screwdriver and sharp knife to open the valve.
- A valve usually consists of two plastic parts that are joined together by glue.
- Remove as much glue as possible to open the valve.
Internal Components Cleanness:
- After opening the valve, gain access to the internal parts of the valve.
- Pay close attention to the valve seat and plunger.
- Clean all dirt, debris, and carbon build-up by spraying the cleaner on internal parts like the mass air flow sensor or electrical contacts.
- Avoid using any chemicals.
- Remove all dirt using a soft brush, cloth, cotton swab, and towel.
- Remember to use fresh cloth or cotton.
- Carefully attach the valve parts together. After joining make sure all pieces are positioned, seated, and aligned correctly.
Dry the Solenoid Valve:
- After cleaning it requires time to dry.
- Let’s wait for the air drying of the cleaned valve.
- Make sure that there is no cleaning agent or moisture remaining.
Install the Solenoid Valve:
- Before reinstalling the valve, reconnect the vacuum hoses, each tube, wires, and clamps before reinstalling the valve.
- Make sure that each connection is solid, strong, and positioned correctly.
Reset the Battery:
- Reconnect the negative battery connector.
- Restart the vehicle’s electrical system,
Testing the Car Performance
- To test the performance of the car and the working of the purge solenoid valve, run the car after starting it for a little time.
- Make sure the car performance is getting better without creating any problems.
Tips for maintenance
- Analyze the performance of the purge solenoid valve on a regular basis.
- Check and clean the valve if problems occur with engine misfires, engine lights, poor gas mileage, and other issues.
- If the solenoid valve is cracked or damaged, replace the solenoid valve with a new one as soon as possible.
- Seek the help of a vehicle service professional for helpful tips and recommendations.
Contact with Professional
Take the help of professionals as they are trained and knowledgeable about all the car parts. They can give you the most effective suggestions. With their help, you can understand all the conditions of Purge Solenoid Valve and also how to clean Purge Solenoid Valve. With one or two practice sessions you can clean it professionally at any time.
After reading all the instructions you can understand how to clean the purge solenoid valve. Cleaning the valve itself is not difficult or impossible. For proper cleaning, remember and follow all the steps mentioned above that can help you clean the valve and maintain the performance of the car.
Additionally, remember that the above instructions are not a substitute for a professional. So, if you face frequent problems and don’t know how to clean purge solenoid valve, you should approach a professional vehicle repair service. For more info must visit voxblend.com