kitchen sinks require a lot of attention over time as they can wear and tear. It usually doesn’t only look ugly, but if you ignore its Cracks and Chips, you will face leaks and some additional damage. However, it is good news for you that you can fix cracks and chips in your kitchen basin yourself.
You can repair chips and cracks with little effort to increase basin performance. You may need to learn and understand the procedure, use appropriate tools, and learn how to repair it. In this article, we will guide you through how to fill chips and cracks in your kitchen basin.
How to fix Cracks and Chips in your porcelain kitchen Basin?
You can easily fix cracks and chips in your kitchen basin yourself. Step-by-step instructions are discussed here. Let’s start it.
Collect the Repairing Materials and Safety Tools:
|Plastic putty knife
|A small mixing container
|Fine-grit sandpaper (320-600 grit)
|Acetone or rubbing alcohol
Turn off the supply:
- Turn off the water supply
- Close the valve of the Basin
- Turn off the electricity if needed.
Organise and Clean:
Make sure the basin is clean and dry before starting to repair chips and cracks. If the surface is wet, dry the surface of the basin and carefully clean the injured area with a rag and alcohol or acetone. Hence, no dirt, debris, dirt, or grease remains in the basin. As a result, a clean surface will hold the epoxy adhesive better.
Carefully Sand the Damaged area:
After cleaning the basin, note the damaged area and remember it. Now, gently and carefully sand the chips and cracked areas and avoid over-sanding. To sand the area, use sandpaper 320 to 600 grit. focus on sanding only the damaged area without damaging the surrounding area. As a result, after sanding, it creates a rough surface that holds the epoxy effectively.
Mix the epoxy:
Use epoxy to fill cracks and chips depending on the type of basin you have. An epoxy kit usually includes two epoxy components and a small brush. Mix the epoxy according to the preparation instructions on the container. Always wear gloves when mixing the components of the epoxy.
- Epoxy filler
- Color pigments
Apply the epoxy on Cracks and Chips:
After mixing the components apply the epoxy on the damaged area to fix cracks and chips in your kitchen basin.
- Carefully apply the epoxy mixture to the damaged surface of the area using a brush plastic putty knife or spatula to fill chips and cracks.
- Avoid using too much epoxy, just apply it to cracks and chips to fill.
- After application, ensure that the epoxy completely covers the damaged area and that there are no chips or cracks left to fill.
- Cover all cracks and chips that you noticed during cleaning.
Smooth the Epoxy:
- After applying the epoxy, make the repair area a level and smooth surface so that no obstructions remain.
- Use a putty knife to smooth out the epoxy.
- Also, wipe the surrounding area with a rag or smooth cloth to remove excess epoxy and give you a smooth finish.
Use Tape for Masking:
If you are initially filling cracks and chips and are concerned about how to avoid spreading epoxy around. Therefore, you can use masking tape.
- Cut the masking tape as needed.
- Apply masking tape around cracks and chips and draw a neat border.
- Now, fill the cracks and chips with epoxy for better results.
Let it Dry:
After applying the epoxy, follow the instructions on the epoxy kit.
- Allow each application to dry completely.
- It takes several hours or a day to dry.
- Follow the instructions on the kit for best results.
- Avoid using the basin during the repairing periods and keep it dry, clean, and free of dust.
Again Sand the Repairing Area
- Use fine grit sandpaper.
- After the epoxy has completely dried, gently sand the repaired cracks and chips.
- As a result, sand the basin properly to achieve a smooth, solid surface. So the surface blends in with the rest of the sink.
Polish the Repaired area:
Use the porcelain touch-up paint according to your basin type. These touch paints are available in various colors you can purchase them as you need.
- Apply the paint to overfill the repairing area.
- Follow the application method as instructed in the kit.
- Take time to dry it.
- It forms a strong seal over the applied filler to prevent re-damage and is waterproof.
- This helps to restore the shine of the paint basin.
Clean the Basin:
After finishing the process, you can clean it gently with the help of rags and a smooth sweep. Ensure complete dryness and use it in daily activities.
- Clean the basin regularly to prevent future damage.
- Avoid keeping hot pans.
- Avoid overloading the basin with pots, pans, and other objects.
- Inspect the basin weekly, if any cracks or chips are visible, fill it as soon as possible.
If you notice any cracks and chips on the kitchen sink, try to fix them quickly. If you assume this is a project job and understand and follow the above procedures to fix small cracks and chips, you can do it yourself. However, be sure to use protective equipment to protect yourself when you repair the damaged area.
After fixing cracks and chips in your kitchen basin, you can not only maintain and increase its performance, efficiency, and usability, but you can save the cost of hiring a professional, repairing further damage, or Can also save money on installing a new sink.